Tuesday, July 12, 2005

It's the Small Things

Sometimes the smallest things get under my skin! Pesky mosquitoes or flies zooming around in my space. A tiny pebble in my shoe. A stain on the front of a white blouse. Stubborn price stickers that aren't easily removed---and when they do, they leave behind the sticky adhesive. The tailgaters out on the Interstate that insist on riding my bumper at 70 m.p.h. These are a few of my irritants. What little things annoy you?

I've also noticed that it's the little things that have great potential for bringing us blessing---that is if we aren't too preoccupied to notice. Yet all too often we wait for the spectacular while overlooking the wonder and blessing of small, ordinary things all around us. Here are a few things that bring me a bit of joy when I pay attention:

A cup for fresh brewed coffee
Fresh sheets on my bed
A hug
A smile
Kind words
Sunsets
The first ripe tomato in my garden
Candles flickering
A bite of chocolate
A robin preening in my bird bath
A cheery tune
A phone call from family or friends
Wildflowers
What would make your list? What brings you a smidgen of pleasure in the midst of daily living?

Let's not wait for mountain-top moments when we could sip on joy in the middle of our ordinary days.

(c) 2005 Marlene Depler

1 comment:

Alice said...

Rain on a tin roof.
Blackbirds whistling on a wet summers day.
The subtle perfume of pansies, petunias or stocks in the evening.
My children on the phone saying, "Hi Mum, how are you?"
The aroma of bacon cooking.

And now, finding a new blogging 'friend' whose writings I am thoroughly enjoying. You may have already guessed that since I can't help leaving comments. I don't even remember how I found my way here - but I'm so glad that I did, and I've already added you to my Favourites list.