Sunday, October 14, 2007

Seasons Hand in Hand


































Summer and fall have walked hand in hand longer than ususal this year. It's wonderful to have the trees turning and still have summer flowers. One couldn't ask for more magnificant weather.(All the photos above were taken on a neighborhood walk a few days ago.)


We haven't had a frost yet, but I'm sure it won't be long now. Today it is raining. The weather forecast shows 33ยบ for tomorrow night. Fall will soon have to bid farewell to summer.


In honor of autumn, here's a poem I wrote several years ago:




Autumn Leaves

By Marlene Depler


Crimson, purple, orange, and gold,
trees so glorious to behold.
Such beauty never does grow old.
Old Winter is knockin’ at the door,
these colors he must deplore
for he will send the dark and cold.

Fluttering, dancing, floating leaves
landing softly under trees.
Jack Frost has been here with a freeze.
Old Winter is knockin’ at the door,
but I still ask for more---
a bit more sunshine, if you please.

Leaves swirling, twirling in the wind
as tree limbs gently sway and bend,
acquiescing to Summer’s end.
Old Winter is knockin’ at the door.
I wonder what he has in store.
What arctic blasts will he send?

Leaves raked neatly in a pile---
I'm not sure that's worthwhile.
A gust of wind---they’ll blow a mile.
Old Winter is knockin’ at the door.
I’ve heard this knock before.
Oh, I’ll ignore him for awhile.


(c) Marlene Depler (Permission must be granted reprint or reproduce in any form)

1 comment:

Kerri said...

I'm so glad I finally took the time to stop by and catch up on your posts. You've taken some gorgeous photographs and written some wonderful words. That late night read gave real inspiration I see :) Absolutely...you should write from your heart...not what someone tells you will sell. Your writing is wonderful!
And so are these photos. What a pretty neighborhood. Our fall weather was glorious too and even after a couple of frosts I still have a few flowers hanging in there.