Thursday, December 18, 2008

Twelve Day of Christmas: Day Seven

Mission Gratitude

Thanksgiving isn’t just for one day in late November. Thankfulness can become a way of life if we choose to make it so. The problem is that when we get very busy or challenges come our way, we often forget to be mindful of our blessings.

My simple mission for the month is gratitude. I search throughout the day for things that I am thankful for—ways that I have been blessed. Recently, we have had some frigid temperatures, so I have been thankful for the warmth of my home. Warm shelter in winter is a blessing. I am thankful for family members and friends that enrich my life. Safety on the icy roads is reason for gratitude. I’m grateful for my basic health. (A bout of stomach flu a couple of weeks ago reminded me to appreciate the days I feel well.)

When the mail comes, I am thankful for any cards and letters that come from the people who have blessed our lives over the years. When I find a great sale on something I want to give as a gift, I am grateful. My list would have to be topped with gratitude that God sent his own son into the world because he loved us.

My list could go on and on, but I’ll stop and shift to you. What are the things that you are grateful for today? It only takes a few moments to stop and recount our blessings both great and small. Join me on Mission Gratitude this month.

No comments: