Monday, December 22, 2008

Twelve Days of Christmas: Day Ten

Delight in the Ordinary

Have you seen this quote: Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

This really makes me stop and think. We may not have breathless moments on a regular basis—unless we are running up and down the stairs. But perhaps if we paid closer attention to the beauty and wonder around us, we would savor our lives more.

Do we take delight in the simple ordinary moments each day? Do we really listen for the laughter? Do we notice the snowflakes? Are we in awe of the twinkling stars? Do we study the expressions on the faces around us?

It takes all of our senses to find the joy and pleasure in the everyday, especially when we get busy preparing for the holidays. In our rush, we may just forget to enjoy the little things and to treasure what is most important to us. It's not the hype that makes us happy.

I can’t say that I have had any moments that took by breath away today, but I did cherish the time spent with my oldest granddaughter. We laughed together as we mixed up a Tunnel of Fudge Cake that we will serve for Christmas dinner. I also savored the sweetness of a clementine. I took delight in a quiet evening with my husband.

It may only be a couple of days before Christmas with much we still think needs to be accomplished. Nevertheless, let’s do our best to catch our breath, stop a moment, and delight in the simple joys all around us.

No comments: